Constructed in a “U” or “L” shape, ramblers (also called ranch style homes) were the first one-story houses to incorporate an attached garage. Ramblers became popular in the early- to mid-twentieth century, as automobiles allowed families to live outside of metropolitan areas and suburbs began appearing. In the 80s and 90s, ramblers fell out of the spotlight, but they’re a hot item on the real estate market now because of their multifaceted benefits. We’ve outlined 11 reasons ramblers are rising in popularity:
- They perfectly accommodate open floor plans—a design concept that’s at the forefront of today’s real estate market.
- Ramblers don’t need stairways, which can use up to 100 square feet of space.
- A one-story home makes it easier to age in place because they are accessible to children, the elderly, and the mobility-challenged.
- An accessible design could raise the value of your home if you ever choose to sell.
- A rambler is easy to clean and organize because you don’t have to climb stairs.
- A one-level home is quieter, with no noise of footsteps traversing the second floor.
- Ramblers incorporate the outdoors into everyday life, with patios, long, expansive windows, skylights, and sliding glass or french doors.
- With natural light streaming through open spaces, skylights, and expansive windows, you can save energy on lighting and heating in the winter daytime.
- Room temperatures in ramblers are often more even because the heat doesn’t all rise to the upper level, so you can live comfortably.
- The exterior of a one-story home is more accessible for maintenance, like painting, gutter upkeep, and window cleaning.
- One-level homes are typically easier to expand or remodel, should you choose to do so.
Iverson Homes will be showcasing our own one-story home during the Parade of Homes spring tour. Look for Parade of Homes #167, a four-bedroom, four bath, 4,212 square foot custom-built rambler with a three-car garage, located at 18200 79th Place North in Maple Grove, Minnesota.
We offer a variety of rambler floor plans including
Our skilled architects will work with you to decide if a one-story or two-story home is right for you. In addition to custom home building, Iverson Homes also provides real estate services. Contact us today to learn more about our neighborhoods or our hands-on process.